This recipe is a staple in my arsenal. It’s super quick and easy to make and (so far) the best vegetarian meatloaf I’ve had. Even my meat & potatoes loving father tried it reluctantly and loved it! It also makes great sandwiches the next day (or two if it’s still around).
PREP: 20 mins. COOK: 45 mins.
Yield: One Loaf
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (12 ounce) packages Lightlife Gimme Lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup oatmeal, dry
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Sauté the onion and green pepper in the oil over medium heat until soft.
- Combine in a bowl with the ground beef alternative, oatmeal, bread, ketchup, garlic salt, and pepper. Thoroughly mix with a spoon or your hands.
- Press the mixture into an oiled loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the coating and set aside.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and turn it out onto a baking sheet. Spread the coating over the entire loaf. Cook, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.
Lightlife Gimme Lean ground beef can be found with other imitation meats in most grocery stores.